- Dreamscape and Eclipse: The Final Cut (29 July 2019, updated 4 January 2020)
A 2019 remastering of the Triumph Amiga demos Dreamscape and Eclipse, released at The Gathering 1996 and 1997.
We recovered the original video and music files from my Amiga, including some unused hi-res images. The music
was remixed, the font was replaced, the video files were resampled, scaled to 1080p and denoised and retimed
to the new music. It's low res, it's gritty, it's 1996 all over again, with a 2019 flair.
- A Different Method for Image Transformations (9 March 2018, updated 26 July 2019)
Image transformations using separable filters can be implemented as a
vertical pass followed by a horizontal pass.
They usually differ in their implementation, and the horizontal one is slower.
A new method is presented where the passes are almost similar
by ordering and transposing data in a specific manner.
This may be faster on architectures where the L1 cache is large enough
to hold a temporary dataset of 8 lines. SSE2 and ARM NEON implementations are provided.
- Integer Raytracing on Mellanox TILE-Gx (5 June 2017)
A second attempt at raytracing on the Mellanox TILE-Gx. The TILE-Gx has very limited floating
point support in hardware, so let's try using fixed point math instead. Unfortunately, calculating
square roots is very time consuming. An alternative approach is explored where custom conversion
routines and integer math does this quickly enough to render 40 spheres in 1080p60. Videos and source
- GPURay - GPU+CPU Raytracer for NVidia Tegra X1 (3 February 2017)
The GPU only raytracer described in my 2016 article "GPU Hacks" can trace 80 spheres at 60 fps
on the NVidia Tegra X1. This new article describes how to use CPU preprocessing to boost
the sphere count to 128 with minimal changes to the GPU part. Videos and source code is included.
- SRTP AES Optimization Revisited (27 July 2016)
- In a 2010 article titled "SRTP AES Optimization" I presented
a method to make SRTP AES run significantly quicker. Unfortunately, there were some caveats:
Packet length had to be 4096 bytes or less and a multiple of 16, and the target CPU was expected to be big endian.
Let's try to address these issues in a new and improved version that will run on any 32-bit CPU.
- GPU Hacks: Fractals, a Raytracer and Raytraced Quaternion Julia Sets (10 June 2016)
- The NVidia Tegra X1
has a Maxwell-based GPU with a theoretical FP32 peak of 512 GFLOPS per second. It can easily be programmed
using OpenGL GLSL shaders. However, making fast GPU code is different from making fast CPU code.
3 non-typical GPU jobs are implemented in fragment shaders and optimized for better performance.
Videos and source code is included.
- OpenSSL aes_core.c Replacement for EZchip TILE-Gx (24 September 2015)
- Drop-in replacement for aes_core.c that's significantly faster. Includes a second
look at how to do the last round in less than half the instructions.
Older articles in the archive
- NVidia Jetson TX2 Xmas Demo 2017 (2017 - 2018)
Everything in one place. Contains new video of the remastered edition that's 60 fps all the way.
- MultiQuake - Quake for Mellanox TILE-Gx CPUs (5 May 2014 - 4 Aug 2016)
Port of the original Quake to Mellanox TILE-Gx multicore CPUs.
Number of Quakes possible to run in parallel is only limited by your screen size.
Only native version available. Has custom, intrinsics based TILE-Gx 2x-5x scalers.
- MultiDoom - Doom for Mellanox TILE-Gx CPUs (2 June 2009 - 4 Aug 2016)
Port of SDL Doom 1.10 to Mellanox TILE-Gx multicore CPUs.
Number of Dooms possible to run in parallel is only limited by your screen size.
Host based version for PCI Express cards and native version available. 2x and 3x EPX scalers.
- TANDBERG Secrets (1999-2010)
- Pictures of hidden menus and unreleased protoypes I worked on in the Classic and MXP days.
- Source Code and Schematics for PCTVNet HomePilot Set Top Box (1998-1999)
- Source code used to run the HomePilot internet box back in 98-99. Not all; it's only
what I had checked out on my last day. Might be interesting for code archaelogists.
Also Schematics for 2.0 hardware.
- Triumph Amiga Demos and Source Code (1985-1995)
- Source code, videos and other fun stuff from old Commodore Amiga demos I did work on.